St Columb’s College is committed to innovating with educational technology to enhance communication, teaching and learning within our school community. We embrace the opportunities that iPad technology has presented us with and permit the use of an authorised Apple iPad in a manner consistent with the established teaching and learning objectives of the school. We also recognise and encourage the use of the iPad at home, particularly for educational purposes.
This policy applies to all student users of iPad hardware and software technology in St Columb’s College. It applies to all iPads used by our students, wherever they are physically located - within the school or used in a Partner School. It is intended to compliment the Pupil Acceptable Use of St Columb’s Networks & Mobile Technologies Policy (AUP) and its ESafety Policy. Due to the nature of information and communications technology, this policy will undergo periodic review and, as such, the school reserves the right to amend any sections or wording at any time.
The following details define the proper use of the device in school and out of school hours.
Section A – General iPad Terms
a. iPad Ownership
• After full payment of £200 the iPad then belongs jointly to the student and the school. (Subject to the following points):
o The school retains ownership of all Apps.
o The school owns the right to manage all iPad devices.
o If a student leaves the school before the end of Year 12, a financial reimbursement will be made to the parent and the school will take full ownership of the iPad.
o At the end of Year 12 the iPad fully and in whole belongs to the student.
• The school will provide all required components to ensure the iPad operates effectively in the classroom (including Wi-Fi access) but we maintain the right to filter internet content selectively and manage the use and connection of iPad to the school network in line with the school’s eSafety policy.
Your iPad MUST be insured by you through your home insurance for accidental damage and theft. For misuse, use of the iPad may be revoked if it is proven that a student has maliciously damaged another student’s iPad and a monetary contribution may be sought for its repair from the student.
c. Taking Care of iPads
Students are responsible for the general care of the iPad. iPads that are broken, or fail to work properly, should immediately be reported to the Form Tutor. The school may provide replacements or a repair service.
• iPads must never be left unattended or in any unsupervised area but can be left in lockers at break-time and lunch time.
• iPads must be brought home at night and charged.
• iPads must not be left in the school overnight (unless by prior arrangement e.g. maintenance purposes).
• Students should not lend or share their allocated iPad with other students unless expressly asked to do so by a teacher in a classroom situation.
• The school-supplied protective case must be used with the iPad at all times.
• Students must avoid placing too much pressure and/or weight (such as folders and workbooks) on the iPad screen. The iPad screens can be damaged if subjected to rough treatment. The screens are particularly sensitive to damage from excessive pressure on the screen.
• Students must avoid excessive movement of school bags containing iPads.
d. Using iPads at School
• iPads are intended for use at school each day. In addition to teacher expectations for iPad use, school messages, announcements, planners, calendars and schedules may be accessed using the iPad. Therefore, students are responsible for bringing their iPad, fully charged, to all classes each day.
• Students who repeatedly (three or more times in a term) fail to bring the iPad to school/or maintain a fully charged battery, will be issued with a comment.
• If students leave their iPad [at home], they are responsible for getting any assignments or coursework completed as if they had their iPad present. Spare iPads will not be available to students [who forget to bring their iPad to school] or who fail to charge their iPad.
• At all times, the class teachers decision is final regarding use, or non use of any iPad, collectively or individually.
• Each device is governed by a centrally controlled Pupil Acceptable Use of St Columb’s Networks & Mobile Technologies Policy (AUP). This policy is subject to change and governs all security and restrictions applied school wide to all devices.
e. Charging the iPad Battery
iPads must be brought to school each day in a fully charged condition. Students need to charge their iPads each evening. This may take up to three hours to charge the iPad fully.
f. Passwords and AppleIDs
• Students are expected to take reasonable measures to secure access to the iPad by using a password. Students are prohibited from removing the password from the device or sharing this password with anyone else except their parents or as requested by a designated member of staff. Students must not attempt to access other students’ iPads by ‘guessing’ or trial and error password attempts.
• Each iPad requires its own AppleID; this will be supplied by the school on provision of the iPad and should be used only on the school iPad. AppleID information should be kept secure to the student. It is the responsibility of the student to recover any lost or forgotten passwords.
• School assigned Apple IDs should not be used on other personal or home Apple devices and are for use only on school iPads.
g. Photographs and Images (still or moving)
Photographs/images stored on the iPad will be in accordance with the Pupil Acceptable Use of St Columb’s Networks & Mobile Technologies Policy (AUP). The school reserves the right to carry out random checks on any iPad for unsuitable content.
• No images or video material taken in school may be uploaded from any device to social networking sites unless authorised by a teacher as part of schoolwork.
• Recording, photographing or filming of classroom teachers is prohibited unless specifically permitted by the class teacher.
Sound, Music, Games or Apps
• Sound must be muted at all times unless permission is obtained from the teacher for instructional purposes.
• Gaming on iPads whilst in school is strictly prohibited at all times.
• Apps on iPads must not violate any terms of this policy or the Pupil Acceptable Use of St Columb’s Networks & Mobile Technologies Policy (AUP).
• Apps provided by the school for school use remain the property of school at all times. A remote delivery system will be in place to deploy and remove apps at the discretion of the school.
h. Home Use
• Students are allowed to use their iPads at home for schoolwork and set up wireless networks on their iPads to assist them with homeworks, coursework etc. It is the responsibility of the Parent(s)/Guardian(s) to monitor and oversee iPad use within the home setting.
• Instructions regarding App Purchases/Apple Accounts are available to Parent(s)/Guardian(s).
• Parent(s)/Guardian(s) should be mindful of personal information stored by students on school provided iPads e.g. credit card/bank details/photographs. St Columb’s College will not accept responsibility for personal data that students store. We assure you that we comply with the principles of the Data Protection Act; we will process data lawfully and fairly and any data held will be kept secure and safe within our managed system.
i. Managing Files and Saving Work
It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that work is not lost due to mechanical failure or accidental deletion. iPad malfunctions are not an acceptable excuse for not submitting work. Students will be guided through the creation, maintenance of backups and the use of Cloud accounts on the iPad. Students will be responsible for backing up on a regular basis.
j. Software and Apps
The school will provide software on iPads necessary for school work. Apps provided by the school must not be removed from iPads. From time to time the school may add to or remove applications for use in a particular course.
• The school’s remote management system monitors all Apps that are added and iPads may be flagged if inappropriate Apps are added.
Students may be selected at random to provide their iPad for inspection to ensure they comply with the iPad Policy as well as the Pupil Acceptable Use of St Columb’s Networks & Mobile Technologies Policy (AUP).
l. Procedure for Reloading Software
If technical difficulties occur, the iPad will be restored to the default factory settings. The school does not accept responsibility for the loss of any software or documents deleted due to a re-format and re-image.
m. Software Updates
Upgraded versions of the operating system and licensed Apps are available from time to time. Students will be expected to download all updates prompted by Apple.
Section B - Acceptable Use
In addition to the Pupil Acceptable Use of St Columb’s Networks & Mobile Technologies Policy (AUP), the school permits use of the Apple iPad in a manner that supports the school’s aims and objectives and is in line with all School Policies. This policy is provided to make all users aware of the responsibilities associated with efficient, ethical, and lawful use of technology resources. If a person violates any of the user terms and conditions named in this policy, privileges may be terminated, access to the school’s network may be denied, and the appropriate disciplinary action shall be applied in line with the Pupil Acceptable Use of St Columb’s Networks & Mobile Technologies Policy (AUP).
Parents are expected to talk to their children about the values and standards that they should follow on the use of the Internet just as they do on the use of all media information sources such as television, telephones, movies, radio, iBooks etc. Parents and students should familiarise themselves with the details of any iPad Insurance Plan in case of accidents, theft or misuse.
Students are to:
• Use Apple iPads in a responsible and ethical manner.
• Obey general school rules concerning behaviour and communication that apply to iPad and computer use.
• Use all computer resources in an appropriate manner so as to not damage school equipment.
• Turn off and secure their iPad after they are finished working to protect their work and information.
• Report any email containing inappropriate or abusive language or if the subject matter is questionable.
• Students must install the “Find my iPad” application using their school e-mail credentials to aid recovery of lost or stolen devices.
Student Activities Specifically Prohibited
In addition to the guidance outlined in the Pupil Acceptable Use of St Columb’s Networks & Mobile Technologies Policy (AUP), students are not permitted to:
• Illegally install or transmit copyrighted materials.
• Lend their iPad to anyone else unless specifically asked by a teacher.
• Change iPad settings (exceptions include personal settings such as font size, brightness, etc).
• ‘Jailbreak’ their iPad.
• Use another student’s iPad.
• Leave their device on the school premises overnight.
• Attempt to modify, upgrade or repair iPads issued under this Policy.
• Send or display offensive messages or material.
• Use obscene language or content.
• Damage IOS, devices, computer systems or computer networks.
• Use other people’s passwords.
• Trespass in others’ folders, works or files.
• Download illegal content or material which is suspicious.
• Upload any photo or video content taken in school to any social networking sites.
• Students should comply with trademark and copyright laws and all license agreements. Ignorance of the law is not immunity. If a student is unsure, he should ask a teacher or parent.
• Use or possession of hacking software is strictly prohibited. Violation of the law may result in criminal prosecution or disciplinary action.
Student iPads will be labelled in the manner specified by the school. iPads can be identified in the following ways:
• Serial Number also known as the mobile device management system ID
• The school’s UIN (Unique Identifier Number)
• The school will enforce the enabling of Location Services on iPads in order to use the ‘Find My iPad’ app. This will be used as a security measure to minimise loss or theft.
If a student violates any part of the above policy, the following sanctions will apply:
1st Offence (Minor) – Student(s) will have their iPad confiscated and taken to the School Office. These can be retrieved at 3.30 p.m. from the Year Heads’ Office on production of a Smartcard. Details of ‘Check-In’ and ‘Check-Out’ will be recorded and a letter will be sent home with a warning regarding future use of the iPad.
2nd Offence – If a student has his iPad confiscated on a second occasion, his parents will have to come to the school to collect the iPad. Details of ‘Check-In’ and ‘Check-Out’ will be recorded and a further letter with an increased warning regarding future use of the iPad and the consequences of a 3rd Offence.
3rd Offence – Student(s) will have their iPad confiscated and taken to the Principal’s Office. Loss of iPad and privileges for a length of time will be determined by the Principal.
Any student who persistently refuses to co-operate or violates any aspect of the provisions of the iPad Policy or the Pupil Acceptable Use of St Columb’s Networks & Mobile Technologies Policy (AUP) may face other disciplinary action deemed appropriate in keeping with the School’s Behaviour Management Policy.
A student will be required to hand over his iPad to a member of staff if:
• There is a suspicion that the iPad has unsuitable material stored on it.
• He has disrupted a lesson through improper use of an iPad.
• He has misused their iPad to take photographs/video on the school premises which he has not received permission to do.
• The iPad or any of its features has been used for any form of bullying.
• Games are being played on the iPad in school time.
• The iPad has been used to breach any school rule/policy and general well being of staff and students.
You can download this form and the Student/Pupil Acceptable Use Agreement Form below.