The school offers PE at GCSE, AS and A2 levels along with a strong support for Extra Curricular activities.
Mr Eamonn Burns is his third year as Head of PE having been at the school since 1998. He has particular expertise in both gaelic football and soccer. In gaelic, he has represented Derry at all levels, winning minor and senior All-Irelands in 1989 and 1993. He has played Irish league soccer at senior, intermediate and junior levels.
Mr Paul McGarry specialises in Athletics and is a former champion with Duncairn Olympic and Sparta A.C.. He represented N.Ireland in the European half-marathon championships in Portugal. He takes the school cross-country and athletics teams.
Mr Ciaran Stevenson is the newest member of the department and brings a wealth of coaching experience in both basketball and soccer. As a player in basketball, Ciaran won 3 University Championships with UUJ and represented N.Ireland at the British University championships. In 2007, he was a premier league all-star with North Star. Ciaran is also an accomplished soccer player.
Mr M McLaughlin
Soccer and Gaelic football are the two main team sports offered at St.Columb’s.
Basketball is very much an emerging team game in the school, whilst the school also takes part in the Ulster High school’s Rugby Union competitions. The school has a rich tradition in Athletics and Cross Country.
Hurling, cricket, tennis, badminton, volleyball, table tennis, trampolining, gymnastics, judo and swimming are also taught as part of the PE curriculum and/or offered as extra-curricular activties. (See the extra-curricular sports schedule).
The PE department makes use of the following facilities on site:-
- a new state of the art 3G facility
- 3 full size grass soccer pitches, 2 full size all-weather soccer pitches
- 1 full size grass gaelic pitch, 4 mini grass gaelic pitches, 2 all-weather gaelic pitches
- 1 full size grass rugby pitch
- 4 all-weather tennis courts
- 1 all-weather basketball court
- 1 large sports hall (All sports)
- Upper assembly hall (basketball, indoor soccer, volleyball, judo)
- Lower Assembly hall (badminton and table tennis)
- Newly equipped multi-gym